(Updated for August 2022)
Summer is here, and we all know that means it’s party time! Parties are often celebrations of days with deep meaning. From graduations to Fourth of July, to just regular every day backyard BBQs. But before you fill the punch bowl and start greeting guests, naturally, you want to get your house clean and party-ready first.
The Steamatic team of Red River Valley has helped homeowners tackle many a party before and after the big event. An open house cleaning checklist is the best way to make your home beautiful and welcoming for a party and protect it from mishaps during the celebration. Check out our best Grand Forks & Fargo cleaning checklist for your party.
Cleaning the Foyer
Your foyer is the first place guests will pass through as they arrive for the party. You have a chance for some real “wow” factor, both with a beautifully clean space and excellent decorations. Greet your guests with room to take coats, hats, and maybe even shoes as your party arrives.
- Dust the light fixtures and furniture
- Sweep and mop the floor, then wipe the baseboards
- Remove clutter and daily household items
- Make room for coats, hats, and maybe shoes
- Freshen up the welcome mats
- Decorate with streamers and balloons
- Set out a table for cards and gifts
Sprucing Up the Living Room
Most parties focus on the living room and the gathering space it provides. Your living room during the graduation party should be festive and offer plenty of easy-to-reach seating, not to mention a few safe surfaces for platters of snacks and personal drinks.
- Dust and wipe down from top to bottom, light fixtures to baseboards
- Clean windows on both sides
- Launder and re-hand the curtains
- Vacuum upholstery and carpets
- Treat any discovered stains
- Clear tables and surfaces
- Hang the banner and decorations
Shining the Kitchen
Many kitchens migrate or form a secondary party in the kitchen. Whether you’ve got a snack platter preparation system or just a casual chat near the sink of iced drinks, make sure your kitchen is ready for company.
- Sweep and clear the counters
- Scrub, clean, then polish every surface
- Shine the sink and fixtures
- Dust from top to bottom
- Prepare your party food prep space
- Have the dishwasher clean and empty, ready for party dishes
- Empty the trash and place a new trash bag
- Sweep and mop the floor
Preparing the Bathroom
Guests will naturally move through the bathroom over the course of your planned evening. You want your downstairs bathroom to be both welcoming and well-stocked.
- Clean and sanitize from top to bottom
- Dust light fixtures and decorations
- Remove personal items
- Clean the toilet, tub, and shower
- Scrub the sink
- Polish the mirrors
- Stock up on spare toilet paper (somewhere easily found), hand soap, and towels
- Provide a discreet basket of helpful items
- Scent with citrus
Sweeping Up the Outdoors
Many great graduation parties spill out onto the deck and into the yard. Don’t forget to prepare your outdoor spaces for fun, games, lounging, or even firelight conversations as the evening deepens.
- Mow and rake the lawn
- Tidy flower beds
- Trim trees and shrubs
- Wipe down outdoor furniture
- Sweep deck, patio, and walks
- Yellow light bulbs and citronella candles
- Clean and fuel the grill
Home Cleaning Services in Grand Forks & Fargo
Preparing for a party can involve a lot of deep cleaning. If you don’t have time or the spare energy to deep clean your carpet, tile or hardwood, or freshen the upholstery of your couches, you don’t have to. With professional cleaning services in Grand Forks and Fargo, you can count on Steamatic of Red River Valley for your residential cleaning needs. One night, once a week, or once a month, we’ll make sure your home is always cleaned to ours and your excellent standards.
Enjoy your party in style, with a pristinely clean and welcoming home. Contact us today.
REQUEST A SERVICE
Image Credit: ShutterStock/Sengchoy Int